A Hip-Hop eBay for Beats?
- Words: Tomas Palermo
Hip-hop producers and other composers seeking to sell their creations to singers and MCs have a new option. Black Vibes’ IveGotBeats.com has launched the Beat XChange, a web-based service that allows producers to sell their music online to artists, auction style.
Producers upload their music to Beat XChange and create a profile. Beat buyers search a music library by genre (rap, R&B, gospel, pop, dance), tempo, or price range and place a bid on the tracks they like. If the producer accepts the bid, the parties negotiate rights and usage using online tools, then the track becomes downloadable for the purchaser.
The Beat XChange intends to circumvent the traditional record label A&R process by directly connecting the artist and the producer. Beat XChange C.E.O. Gerald Olivari, says, "Recognizing the impact that technology, such as Pro Tools and social music networking websites, [has] had on the industry, we decided that it was the perfect time to introduce this service."
Black Vibes also operates a music and entertainment news site that features videos, news stories, and artist profiles. A recent article featured rapper Talib Kweli’s (pictured above) open letter on Barack Obama’s candidacy.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsHear Dntel's Upcoming LP for Leaving/Stones Throw
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player