KRS One Signs To Duck Down, New Album With Buckshot
- Words: Tomas Palermo
Kris Parker, the incomparable New York MC known as KRS-One and The Teacha, has officially signed with Duck Down Records, home to Buckshot, Sean Price, Smif-N-Wessun, and others. Duck Down co-president Dru-Ha remarked, “To say we are honored and humbled would be an understatement. KRS has a message in his lyrics, [and is] a gladiator performer who reps the culture and possesses all the qualities that an MC should embody: meaningful lyrics, mastery of the flow, intense creativity, and a ferocious live show”
Duck Down co-owner Buckshot (formerly of Black Moon) is recording an album with KRS for release later this year, three tracks of which are now complete. For those that can’t wait, 9th Wonder & Buckshot's The Formula album will be in stores April 15. But Buckshot is clearly excited about the upcoming collaboration with KRS: “Before I even began rapping, that is who I checked for. I kept [Boogie Down’s] Ghetto Music: The Blueprint of Hip-Hop album on me at all times.”
KRS started his career in 1987 with Scott LaRock as Boogie Down Productions. Their seminal album, Criminal Minded, featured hits like “South Bronx” and “The Bridge is Over;” the title track was recently remixed by DJ Premier for release on the Smirnoff Signature Mix series.
KRS has been socially active over the years, founding the Temple of Hip-Hop to promote hip-hop arts, and the Stop The Violence Movement, which united the hip-hop community in an effort to curb crime. Parker still records and tours relentlessly, despite losing his step-son to suicide in July 2007.
In a related power move, Duck Down has also signed top battle and radio DJ Revolution. Rev will release King of the Decks on Duck Down in fall 2008, which features appearances from Guilty Simpson, Dilated Peoples, Q-Bert, Tash, Kidz In The Hall, Planet Asia, and many others.
Pictured: Buckshot (left) with KRS-One.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player