Pon Di Wire: Reggae Awards, Killer Get Rude, Chart Flashbacks
- Words: Tomas Palermo
Don’t get on the wrong side of Bounty Killer (pictured above). Otherwise, you might get boxed down and receive a Hennessy bath. At least that’s what happened to Killer’s one-time recording partner Harry Toddler, who had a run in with the famous Seaview Gardens DJ. "Killa buss off mi chain and wet me up wid liquor, and [Elephant Man] and him friends, dem start hold on pon me and say me fi easy, because him caan tek the embarrassment, and ting,” said Toddler. Ironically, Toddler’s latest single, “Don’t Run In,” is currently racing up the charts.
Rasta singjay Lutan Fyah may have taken his name a little too literally. The popular performer, who has been riding the reggae charts in Jamaica with hits like “Save The Juveniles” and “St. Jago,” is under investigation for arson. Members of Fyah’s crew allegedly torched the houses of men who heckled Lutan at a stage show.
Hot 102’s Richie B hosted the first annual Excellence In Music and Entertainment (EME) awards. Some of the winners included Lutan Fyah (Cultural Artist of the Year), Cham (Most Uplifting Lyrics), Junior Reid (Top International Artist), and Anthony B (Biggest Comeback). 2008 is also a first for Jamaica, with the EME’s and the upcoming Reggae Academy Awards being the nation’s first two domestically produced events honoring reggae.
Bounty Killer, Mavado, and Tarrus Riley all performed at a half-time concert during a friendly soccer match between Jamaica’s Reggae Boyz and Costa Rica. The Boyz were ultimately unsuccessful, falling to Costa Rica 0-1, after an 80th-minute goal from Costa Rica's Victor Nunez.
St. Thomas, Virgin Islands reggae star Pressure Buss Pipe (or simply Pressure, to most fans) will debut a new video from his recently release Love & Affection album. The video for the Don Corleon-produced “So Appealing” will be shot this week in New York.
Several excellent artist profiles appeared in the reggae press last week. Singer Cherine Anderson, one of reggae’s most promising new female artists, is a Sly & Robbie protégé who has racked up recent appearances on singles and videos. Ms. Anderson will be on tour this spring and summer with Sly & Robbie’s Taxi band showcase. Elsewhere, Tarrus Riley, who many reggae fans regard as 2007’s best new artist, ">shared his views on his career, women, technology, and the music industry.
Bunny Wailer’s daughter, Ngeri Livingston, who now records as Sensi Love, was the surprise musical guest Wednesday, February 6 at the 16th Bob Marley Bash in Negril, Jamaica. The Atlanta-based Livingston has kept her music career a secret from the public, and her famous father, until now.
Early bird tickets for Northern California’s Reggae Rising concert are available now. The outdoor show takes place August 1-3 in Piercy (Humbolt County), CA, and will feature UB40, Junior Reid with Andrew & Wada Blood, Don Carlos, Gentleman, Tanya Stephens, Black Uhuru (special set featuring Don Carlos and Junior Reid with Sly & Robbie), and more to be announced.
Dutch website Reggae Vibes has a unique reggae time machine. Go to the Charts tab and click Revive Top 10, for a peak back at the U.K.-based magazine Echoes' Top 10 albums from 30 years ago. The chart for February 1978 included (from 1 to 10) Hot Rocks' Mash Down, Hortense Ellis' Unexpected Places, Trinity's Starsky And Hutch, Hugh Mundell's Book Of Life, Dillinger & Trinity's Jesus Dread, Wailing Souls' Bredda Gravalicious, Dennis Reid's Land Of The Rising Sun, Burning Spear's Throw Down Your Arms, Horace Andy's Higher Range, and Bongo Gene Campbell's Skyjack.
Billboard's February Top 10 Reggae Albums
1. Bob Marley Forever Bob Marley (Madacy)
2. Collie Buddz Collie Buddz (Columbia)
3. Ky-Mani Marley Radio (AAO)
4. Putumayo Presents: Latin Reggae (Putumayo)
5. Shaggy Intoxication (VP)
6. Stephen Marley Mind Control (Universal)
7. Reggae Gold 2007 (VP)
8. Strictly The Best 38 (VP)
9. Strictly The Best 37 VP)
10. Notch Raised By The People (Machete)
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- MP3Shiva "Dark Moon"
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- MP3Astronomar "Gargoile (Massacooramaan Remix)"
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player