Greensleeves Announces New Signings
- Words: Tomas Palermo
Since announcing a partnership with New York’s VP Records at the beginning of 2008, London’s Greensleeves label has been far from dormant. The imprint scored big with the release of the Firelinks-produced Airwaves riddim set, which captured new versions by Beenie Man and Bounty Killer on the beat made famous by Mavado’s tune “Gully Side.” Greensleeves has also reissued classics from Eek-A-Mouse and The Meditations, as well as compiled another installment of its popular Ragga Ragga Ragga dancehall series.
This week, Greensleeves announced another flurry of new signings and artist announcements. Busy Signal and Gyptian, as well as regarded producers Shane “Jukeboxx” Brown and Llamar “Riff Raff” Brown, all have new deals.
Busy Signal has signed off a multiple album and publishing deal and has recently had phenomenal success with the worldwide dancehall anthems “Jail” and “Wine Pon Di Edge.” The deal was brokered by his manager and producer, Shane C. Brown, of Juke Boxx Productions, is currently working with Signal on his forthcoming album, due for release in 2008 on Greensleeves Records.
Shane Brown, the multi-talented and hot producer behind the recent hits such as Morgan Heritage’s “Brooklyn & Jamaica” and, more recently, Demarco’s “Better Jamaica,” has also inked a deal with the company’s publishing arm. Brown currently has the charts on lock with his Warning rhythm, which features tracks by Mavado, Bounty Killer, and Demarco. Brown is working on the new Trenches riddim and produced tracks for Foxy Brown’s forthcoming album.
Greensleeves Publishing also signed the young producer Llamar “Riff Raff” Brown. The 21-year old has recently been working with the top reggae artists, producing tracks for Morgan Heritage’s new album, Mission In Progress and Richie Spice’s Gideon Boot.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player