Joe Claussell, Bugz In The Attic, Louie Vega Remix Fania Records’ Classic Cuts
- Words: Tomas Palermo
This May, forward thinking nightclubs will get a flashback to 1970s New York at the height of the Salsa and Boogaloo revolution. eMusica has announced its latest Fania Records remix collection, this one titled I Like It Like That: Fania Remixed. The label didn’t skimp on heavyweight producers either, with talents as diverse as Italian jazz-dance composer Nicola Conte, soulful breaks master DJ Format, and house legend Louie Vega all faithfully updating classic Latin sounds from Hector Lavoe, Wllie Colon, Ray Baretto, and others.
Fania Records made a major contribution to Latin music and America’s emerging multi-ethnic cultural heritage in the 1960s and 1970s. Fania artists mixed a cornucopia of styles that transcended traditional Latin music and birthed salsa, boogaloo, Latin R&B, and afro-Cuban jazz. Heavyweight singers, percussionists, and musicians, including Johnny Pacheco, Ray Barretto, Joe Cuba, Joe Bataan, Larry Harlow, Willie Colón, Héctor Lavoe, Rubén Blades, and Celia Cruz created memorable solo albums and collaborative projects during the label’s heyday.
Now, a new generation of dance music producers has been tapped to take on the greats for I Like It Like That. Highlights include Aaron Jerome’s remix of Pete Rodriguez’s “I like it Like That,” Louie Vegas’ EOL remix of his uncle, Héctor Lavoe’s, “Mi Gente,” and Bugz in the Attic’s upfront rendering of “Plástico,” originally by Willie Colón and Rubén Blades.
“When it came down to remixing Fania tracks, we knew we’d have to hold out until we had a star line-up of contemporary artists,” said Dean Rudland, A&R Consultant for Emusica and the album's co-producer. “With I like It Like That, we feel that we’ve really done each track justice by having today’s music stars inject their own music sensibility, creating new classics for the Fania label.”
2. Pete Rodriguez "I like It Like That" (Aaron Jerome Remix)
3. Dave Cortez "Happy Soul With a Hook" (DJ Format Remix)
4. Hector Lavoe "Mi Gente" (Louie Vega EOL Remix)
5. Willie Colon & Ruben Blades "Plastico" (Bugz in the Attic)
6. Noro Morales Quintet "Saona" (Gilles Peterson & Sinbad Remix)
7. Hector Lavoe "Aléjate" (Joaquin “Joe” Claussell Sacred Rhythm Remix)
8. Ray Barretto "O Elefante" (SHH Remix)
9. Roberto Roena "Take Five" (Nicola Conté Remix)
10. Johnny Pacheco "Boogaloo De Johnny" (Quantic Remix)
Above: Louie Vega.
XLR8R Downloads Player