Pon Di Wire: Jamaican PM Stirs Controversy, Macka Diamond’s Party
- Words: Jennifer Marston
Macka Diamond has turned party promoter, but rather than present the kind of raucous dancehall she’s known for, the dollars diva will instead take the music inna vintage direction. Diamond’s Money O Sundays night starts at 6 p.m. on Sunday, in Old Harbour, St. Catherine, this week. “We are going to play oldies, then lead up into '80s and '90s hits. It will be a definite party vibe where everybody can come and party before going back to Kingston for Fashion Sundays and Prendy's," Diamond told One876. Her new hit, “Laptop,” is currently climbing the charts.
On a whistle-stop tour of the U.K. last week, Jamaican Prime Minister Bruce Golding stated definitively that he would not welcome gays or lesbians into his government cabinet. The surprisingly blunt statement has caused a stir back home in JA, where the phrase “not in my cabinet” is already becoming an anti-gay street slang.
Dates have been set for the next Caribbean Seabreeze Festival in Los Angeles. The event takes place July 27 at Queen Mary Park in Long Beach, with headliners Shabba Ranks, Junior Reid, Lady Saw, and Cham, plus more names and soundsystem acts to be announced in the coming weeks.
Lincoln "Sugar" Minott (pictured above) is about to release the next album in his prolific, multi-decade spanning career. New Day is out on July 21 on Stop, Look and Listen records and features an all-star guest line-up, including Toots Hibbert, Josey Wales, Ranking Trevor, Andrew Tosh, and musicians Dwight Pickney, Bongo Herman, Scully, and Sly Dunbar.
The Jamaica Star paper is featuring an excellent, multi-part interview series with the artist nicknamed The Prophet and King Shango, otherwise known as Capleton. Capleton received a king’s welcome during a recent tour to The Gambia in West Africa.
Female R&B/reggae trio Make Boyz Cry has a must-see video for its song “Busted.” Shot like a mini-movie, the song tells the story of a fateful meeting between one man’s wife and “matey” (lover). The group showcases its pitch-perfect vocal skills on a new cut of the Hypocrites riddim. Amazing!
Looking for the ultimate Sizzla comp? Greensleeves has it, with the forthcoming CD/DVD The Journey: The Very Best of Sizzla, dropping June 26. The collection features Sizzla hits, including “Dry Cry (Just One of Those Days),” “Black Woman And Child,” “Ain’t Gonna See Us Fall,” “Really And Truly,” “One Love,” and “Africa Prepare.” The DVD features an interview with BBC 1Xtra’s Robbo Ranx and unseen footage from Sizzla’s Judgment Yard.
In other record news, on July 1, VP Records will re-release Tarrus Riley’s debut album, Challenges, which will include several bonus tracks. Voice Mail drops its third album, Jump Off, on July 16 on Japan’s Pony Canyon label. Unfortunately, the fast-rising vocal trio’s set is only available as an import from Japan and Europe for the time being.
The Sierra Nevada World Music Festival is just a few weeks away. Going down June 20-22 in Northern California, the event will feature performances from roots acts including The Mighty Diamonds, Midnite, Sister Carol, U Roy, Cornel Campbell, Yami Bolo, Stranger Cole, Roy Shirley, and Pat Kelly.
Reggae Vibes Revive 10
1. Tapper Zukie “She Want A Phensic” (Stars)
2. Dillinger “War Is Over” (Joe Gibbs)
3. Enos McLeod “By The Look” (Oakley HiFi)
4. Culture “Natty Never Get Weary” (High Note)
5. Linval Thompson “I Love Marijuana” (Thompson Sounds)
6. Jah Berry “Chant Down Babylon” (Phase 1)
7. Trinity “Z-90” (Vivian Jackson)
8. John Holt “Tribal War” (Knots)
9. Sheila Hylton “Don't Ask My Neighbours” (Harry J)
10. Mighty Diamonds “Gypsy Woman” (Joe Gibbs)
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- NewsCheck Out a 40-Minute Live Set from Juju & Jordash
- FeatureHi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- NewsPixelord, DZA, 813, and Others to Appear on Upcoming Russia-Focused Compilation
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player