Richie Hawtin Takes Magic Cube on Tour
Said to be "a highly advanced communications device that responds positively to the presence of humans," The Cube is, according to a press release, Minus' latest exploration in how DJs interact with their audiences. The strange, shiny device will be present for the CONTAKT event series, set to take place over the next several months in cities around the world.
Show attendees will sign up for a CONTAKT membership card, which contains a microchip devised from the same technology as The Cube. With this card, members will be identified and acknowledged upon arrival at the shows, and will be able to interact with the machine via iPones and WiFi-enabled devices, download unreleased Minus tracks, upload demos, or just kneel in front of the thing and look awed like that dude pictured above. Those who choose to participate will have the chance to win a Native Instruments Traktor Scratch System.
It remains to be seen as to whether or not this nebulous, vaguely described piece of technology will spell hours of fun or sci-fi disaster, but at the very least, fans will get to catch some great music by Hawtin, Magda, Troy Pierce, Marc Houle, Hearththrob, Gaiser, Loco Dice, JPLS, and others. Don't forget to wish them a happy anniversary.
05/24 Detroit, MI: St. Andrew's Hall
06/20 Barcelona, Spain: Sonar Festival
07/22 Gent, Belgium: Vooruit
08/29 Montreal, QC: Venue TBA
10/11 Berlin, Germany: Coumbia Halle
10/18 London, UK: S.E.One
12/06 Tokyo, Japan, CLub Phazon
12/13 Buenos Aires, Argentina: Venue TBA
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsFriends of Friends Details Fifth Anniversary Comp Featuring Shlohmo, Shigeto, Machinedrum, Nicolas Jaar, and More
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- FeatureFive Artists Not to Miss at Vancouver's New Forms Festival
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player