Diplo, 9th Wonder on Verve Remixed 4
- Words: Wyatt Williams
For the past few years, Verve Records has been mining its enviable vaults to give contemporary artists a chance to rework some some classic tracks. It just so happens that those vaults contain some of the best jazz and blues vocal records of the '50s and '60s, including Nina Simone, Dinah Washington, Ella Fitzgerald, and Billie Holiday, among others.
The resulting Verve // Remixed compilation series has put some of the label's most iconic work into the hands of contemporary artists–from Thievery Corporation and the Postal Service to Dan the Automator, Carl Craig, and Danger Mouse–who have given the classic tracks their own remix interpretations.
A few years since the last volume, Verve // Remixed 4 will hit the streets next week, on May 27, and feature a bevy of sweet pairings, like The Cinematic Orchestra with the legendary Ella Fitzgerald, Antibalas with Afrobeat ensemble Patato & Totico, Kenny Dope with with the Godfather himself, James Brown, and Diplo with the Blue Note diva Marlena Shaw.
1. Dinah Washington "Cry Me A River (Truth & Soul Remix)"
2. Nina Simone "Gimme Some (Mike Mangini Remix)"
3. James Brown "There Was A Time (Kenny Dope Remix)"
4. Marlena Shaw "California Soul (Diplo/Mad Decent Remix)"
5. Nina Simone "Take Care Of Business (Pilooski Remix)"
6. Astrud Gilberto "Bim Bom (Psapp Remix)"
7. Anita O' Day "Tenderly (Mocky Remix)"
8. Sarah Vaughan "Tea For Two (Chris Shaw Remix)"
9. Patato & Totico "Dilo Como Yo (Antibalas Remix)"
10. Willie Bobo "Evil Ways (Karriem Riggins Remix)"
11. Roy Ayers "Everybody Loves The Sunshine (9th Wonder Remix)"
12. Ella Fitzgerald "I Get A Kick Out Of You (Cinematic Orchestra Remix)"
Die-hard fans can check this 55 second movie put together by the artists that created the album cover:
XLR8R Downloads Player