Pon Di Wire: Marley, Ninja Man
- Words: Tomas Palermo
Rockr and Tuff Gong label present a new bonus EP of Bob Marley dance remixes taken from the officially sanctioned Roots, Rock, Remixed project. Sir T’s house remix of “Kaya,” Patchworks’ mid-tempo rub of “Corner Stone,” and Benjamin Devigne’s nu-jazz take on “Natural Mystic” are out digitally this week.
Don Gorgon, a.k.a. Ninja Man, visited Canada for the first time in 21 years last week to publicize his One Umbrella organization, which promotes non-violence to youth. One of the organization's mandates is to have chapters in reggae consuming countries such as Canada, the United Kingdom, and the United States of America, as well as throughout the Caribbean. Ninja Man remarked at a press conference for the event, “It's time for me to take up this cause to save the youths from a life that's not good. I know, I've been there, as everybody knows. We know that violence will never be eliminated, but we can at least bring violence down, and I am going to do it!"
Good news for Alton Ellis fans! Despite battling illness, the legendary “Mr. Rock & Soul” will perform at the upcoming Get Ready To Rocksteady concert and filming in Jamaica. Ellis flew from his home in England, where he had concluded treatment for myeloma, a cancer of the plasma cells. As for his health, Ellis told the Star, "I am a ready man, but I just get tired easily. At one time I was like this, so you see that my illness is not so bad anymore." The documentary film on rocksteady music’s greats, being produced by Swiss and French companies in collaboration with the Jamaican Government, will show how rocksteady has impacted on other genres of music in Jamaica.
Are you ready to name Vybz Kartel’s new condom line? The Kingston DJ is asking fans for suggestions for his new safe sex item launched by Kartel and business partner Corey Todd. Fans can email suggestions to email@example.com and enter to win a free weekend at Hedonism 3. “We hope that Kartel’s mass appeal will encourage more people to practice safe sex, especially in this age of HIV/AIDS, which has destroyed the black communities in the US, Africa, and the Caribbean,” Todd told One876 News. Meanwhile, Kartel is denying that he is romantically linked with Beenie Man’s ex-wife, the singer D’Angel.
Jamaican music and intellectual property rights will be in focus July 1 for International Reggae Day (IRD). Since music is a major contributor to the Jamaican economy, business leaders have planned a forum to underscore the importance and economic value of intellectual property rights. The annual IRD combines music, media, and technology to celebrate and highlight the power and impact of Jamaican culture around the world. Also highlighted this year: the 40th Anniversary of Toots and the Maytals, 1968 recording of “Do the Reggae” credited with giving the genre its name.
Reggae songstress Etana (pictured above) is on tour in the U.K. and Europe this month promoting her new VP album, The Strong One, which has so far received a strong reception on both sides of the Atlantic. She performs July 5 in London at the Brixton Academy.
Some reggae labels really know how to hold it down for foundation riddims and tunes, including U.K.-based Stingray Music who have unleashed a new batch of singles based on the classic Junior Delgado song “Fort Augustus.” Singles include Bushman ("King Selassie"), Ras Mc Bean ("Never Give Up"), Freddie McGregor ("Work"), and Chukki Star ("Black Door Deal").
This week’s Juno Records’ top reggae digital download singles include Aldubb’s “Dubfiles 03” (MK2), Baby Wayne “History” (M&B), Brother Culture “Warning” (All City), Cocoa Tea “Barack Obama” (VP), Luciano & Preacher “Battlefield” (Bookie), and Sizzla “Pure & Strong” (Sholine).
Reggae-Vibes Top Ten Reggae Videos
1. Shaggy feat. Akon “What's Love” (VP)
2. Terry Linen “Mood For Love (Missing You)” (Uplifting Music)
3. L.U.S.T. “Just As I Am” (Born Music)
4. Cocoa Tea, Silver Cat & Jesse Jendah “Keep On Dancing” (Roaring Lion)
5. Tessanne Chin “Messenger”
6. Mr. Right “Man A Dog” (56 Production)
7. Jah Cure “Sticky” (Danger Zone)
8. Christopher Martin “I'll Be Your Driver”
9. Silver Cat “Get Dark”
10. Morgan Heritage “Raid Rootz Dance” (VP)
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- FeatureFive Artists Not to Miss at Vancouver's New Forms Festival
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- NewsFriends of Friends Details Fifth Anniversary Comp Featuring Shlohmo, Shigeto, Machinedrum, Nicolas Jaar, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player