Illa J to Release J Dilla Produced Album
The legacy of J Dilla lives on! The late producer's younger brother, John "Illa J" Yancey, is currently at work on his debut album for Delicious Vinyl. The yet-to-be-titled release will feature 21-year old Yancey singing over beats made by his older brother. Dilla, who passed away in February of 2006 from complications relating to lupus, left behind him an extensive vault of untouched music, which will see light for the first time with this release.
"From '95 - '98, Jay Dee was my go-to guy for hot beats and remixes," explains Delicious Vinyl founder Michael "Mike Floss" Ross. "He was always making beats. So there was a select amount of tracks that he composed for me during that time, only they never got used. When I finally met Illa J last year, I gave him a CD containing those unreleased beats."
The Yancey brothers story doesn't end there. Illa J recently relocated to Los Angeles, where he constructed a studio built from his brother's own recording equipment. "One of the things I learned from my brother is that you don't get that much time, so make the most of it," he said in a recent press release. "That's why I've decided to dedicate my life to doing what I love: music."
An album title, tracklisting info, and release date are yet to be announced. Stay tuned for the delicious details.
Photo by B+.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsHear a New Remix from Joy Orbison
- NewsSBTRKT Releases Interactive Video for "Look Away"
- NewsStream a Track from Locked Groove's Upcoming EP
- GearArtist Tips: Addison Groove Shares Five of His Production Secrets
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player