Michna Releases Ghostly Debut
- Words: Tomas Palermo
Skateboards rolling by and snapping ollies, movie dialog snippets, a subway car entering a station, urban environmental noise–welcome to Michna’s sonic palette. The Brooklyn-based beatmaker will introduce listeners to his wide world of sounds this September, when the former Secret Frequency Crew member releases his debut album, Magic Monday, on Ghostly International. Like Plaid, DJ Shadow, and other sonic collage artists, Michna has the ability to throw almost any sound into his warm, glitchy beat mix and make it fit.
Listeners will also recognize the symphonic, jazzy arrangements that artists like 4Hero, Air, and Zero 7 incorporate on Michna tracks like “Skunk Walk” and “Swiss Glide,” mixed with Flying Lotus or Dabrye’s distressed drum programming. “Levitation” features Michna’s own trombone touches woven among glistening mid-tempo rhythms. Magic Monday is edgy headphone music that invokes both familiar and alien physical and mental territories.
Michna has also been plying his skills on the decks as DJ Egg Foo Young, as well as completing remixes including, astonishingly, one for mysterious Texas folk artist Jandek (the only artist ever to do so). Michna also contributed productions to Brazilian group Bonde Do Role’s debut LP for Domino/Mad Decent. Busy kid!
Look for the new LP Magic Monday and the introductory single “Triple Chrome Dipped” soon on Ghostly.
01. Triple Chrome Dipped
02. Swiss Glide
03. Believe In It
04. Skunk Walk
05. Bumper Car Masters
07. Raw Paw
08. Redline Flights
09. Do What You Want To Do
10. Italian Visitors
12. Third Orbit
More from Michna
Podcast: Ghostly Swim Megamix
- NewsCheck Out a Playlist of the Top 100 Paradise Garage Tracks
- NewsCheck Out an 18-Mintue Remix from Ricardo Villalobos and Max Loderbauer
- NewsStream a New Modeselektor Track from the Forthcoming 'Bleep:10' Compilation
- GearWatch Addison Groove Give an Extensive Tour of His Studio
- NewsTOBACCO Shares New "Extremely NSFW" Video
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player