Treibstoff Announces Remix Contest
- Words: Tomas Palermo
Cologne’s Treibstoff label is known for crisp, angular, and pulsing minimal techno releases by artists like Robert Babicz, Gabriel Ananda, Rob Acid, Maetrik, Falko Brocksieper, and Cio D’or. Since 1997, the label has issued 80 releases and established itself as a major German electronic music outlet alongside the likes of Kompakt and Traum.
Label co-founder Marcel Janovsky began producing in the late 1980s, inspired by Kraftwerk and the emerging Euro club sound. He honed his ears and DJ skills by playing Chicago house and learning hip-hop scratch techniques. After founding Treibstoff (German for fuel) with partner René Breitbarth, Janovsky released several singles including the “Spring” and “Liebe auf Zeit” EPs.
In recognition of the Cologne DJ and producer’s continued popularity and contributions, techno web portal FOEM has announced a remix contest for Janovsky’s track “Okay,” which Janovsky describes as his vision of how techno should sound in 2008.
What do you think it should sound like?
Contest organizers at FOEM say remixes should be “subtle euphoric and trippy, with hypnotic grooves, building up for the peak hour with a permanent balance. Keep it simple but lovely, clean and modern, with small melodic phrases and healthy grooves.” Get contest information and song elements at FOEM's site.
The contest deadline is September 30, 2008 and winners will receive at least one Treibstoff vinyl release.
- NewsDownload a New Mix from Tycho
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- NewsPixelord, DZA, 813, and Others to Appear on Upcoming Russia-Focused Compilation
- NewsStream Different Sleep's Dreamy Debut EP for Friends of Friends
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player