Feist, Sakamoto Trek to the Arctic
- Words: Tomas Palermo
Solving climate change sounds like an overwhelming task. What difference can one person make when so much damage to the environment has already been done and huge nations and corporations continue to pollute? The answer for one artistically motivated group is to put your soul on ice–preferably a glacier.
The folks behind Cape Farewell believe that, in order to solve our climate dilemma, artists will have to be front and center as change agents and educators to bring about cultural shifts. Can a pop song solve global warming? No, but it can trigger ideas, actions, trends, and massive cultural shifts in how the human race relates to the world and its resources.
On September 25, electronic producer Ryuichi Sakamoto, of Yellow Magic Orchestra fame, along with Canada’s Feist and 40 other artists, scientists, architects, comedians, musicians, playwrights, composers, engineers, filmmakers, and journalists, will sail to the arctic near Greenland. The boat will then voyage near Jakobshavn Glacier, one of Greenland's largest glaciers, which is losing 20 million tons of ice every day. The artists will compose music, plays, visual art, and other representations of what they experience and bring this work to the world.
Sakamoto, who helped popularize techno-pop in the 1980s and more recently explored contemplative, organic landscapes on collaborations with ambient guitarists Fennez and Christopher Willits, will bring his 30-year production legacy to bear on the global warming issue. Sakamoto is a passionate activist for international cooperation to solve the climate crisis.
How bad is it? In 2007, there was record loss of the sea ice at the North Pole. Recent satellite images show that this year’s figure could exceed the 2007 demise of the Northern Ice Cap.
Blogs, images, and videos will be available via RSS feeds. Follow the team live at their website
Cape Farewell Participating Artists
Pictured: Ryuichi Sakamoto. Photo by Joi Ito.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player