J Rocc Hosts Stones Throw Podcast
- Words: Lulu McAllister
This week, J Rocc is hosting Stones Throw Records podcast 38, which highlights the work of prolific DJ/producer Madlib. The man born Otis Jackson Jr.’s list of aliases is almost as dizzying, as is the amount of work he’s produced, but J Rocc has cherry-picked some of Jackson's finer offerings and put them together in this 27-minute medley. The podcast moves through a diverse sampler, which includes the Beat Konducta’s funky hip-hop cut, “Gamble on Ya Boy (feat. Defari),” with its upbeat clever dare-you-to-dare-me rhymes, along with Jackson Conti’s Brazilian-tinged music, and the experimental electro-jazz hip-hop of Madvillain, among others.
J Rocc, as Jason Jackson is now most commonly known, first got his feet wet DJing in the mid-'80s with Huntington Beach-based group PSK. From there, he went on to found the influential Beat Junkies (along with members Babu, Melo-D and Rhettmatic) in 1992. Under the Beat Junkies era, J Rocc helped legitimize the use of the turntable as a musical instrument, blending hip-hop with other musical genres and winning the International Turntablist Champion title two years in a row along with his crew.
Photo by B+.
- NewsCheck Out Caribou's 'Essential Mix' for BBC Radio 1
- NewsListen to Slam's Upcoming 'Reverse Proceed' LP for Soma
- FeatureLabels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- NewsStream a New Track from Om Unit's Upcoming EP for Metalheadz
- NewsLegowelt and Willie Burns Launch Bizarre Online TV Show; Watch the First Episode Now
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
- October 20: MUTEK.MX with Andy Stott, The Bug, Roman Flügel, Objekt, Laurel Halo, Oneohtrix Point Never, and More
- November 5: Club to Club with Caribou, SBTRKT, Recondite, Marcel Dettmann, Clark, Vessel, Luke Vibert, Jacques Greene, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player