Grizzly Bear Goes to the Orchestra
- Words: Jennifer Marston
While it's a trend we've seen for years, indie rock bands teaming up with orchestras is nonetheless something that always gets our attention–and apparently Michael Christie's too. The Brooklyn Philharmonic Music Director first grabbed the (non-classical) music world’s attention two years ago, when he collaborated with Antony & The Johnsons. Now he turns his attention towards the members of Grizzly Bear and Owen Pallett’s Final Fantasy project.
Christie will lead the two parties through a performance on February 28, 2009 at the Howard Gilman Opera House that involves performing new orchestrations of their songs alongside Brooklyn Philharmonic musicians. As these things go, it's hard to predict what the outcome of this collaboration will sound like, but with the young, hip, and talented composer Nico Muhly re-orchestrating Grizzly Bear's songs and whiz kid Pallett doing his own arrangements, the evening should be worth dusting off your best skinny jeans and heading down to the opera house for.
Tickets go on sale October 20 at 10 a.m. Pick them up at the Brooklyn Philharmonic website or by calling 718-636-4100.
Photo by Lane Coder.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- MP3Astronomar "Gargoile (Massacooramaan Remix)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player