Pon Di Wire: Macka Diamond, Bescenta
- Words: Tomas Palermo
Max Glazer’s Federation Sound, in association with Ward 21, is offering a new, free mixtape titled Badda Badda Gang… 3 The Hard Way, featuring Timberlee, Natalie Storm, and Tifa, three of dancehall’s most important new female artists. The mix highlights the artists' wealth of new tracks and strong crossover appeal. Watch out M.I.A. and Gwen Stefani!
Speaking of women on the move, Macka Diamond has formed her answer to Bounty Killer’s Alliance crew–Galliance. The crew includes Macka, Lady G, and Queen Paula, plus new artists Black Queen and Champagne. "It is a group of friends who’ve come together for the advancement of female artistes as a collective in the business,” Diamond told Jamaica’s One876. “We realize that the selectors are not playing the women DJs in the dance, so we felt that if we organized as a force, maybe it would change their attitudes towards females."
Mavado’s passport has been reauthorized and his travel ban lifted, which paves the way for U.S. appearances. The artist born David Brooks will kick things off at the Return of The Gully God show, on October 25, at Club Amazura in Queens, New York. Mavado’s new album, Mr. Brooks: A Better Tomorrow, is slated for release by the end of this year.
Itation Records has an excellent new roots collection called the World Go Round riddim, available from all digital retailers. Artists on the Tune In Crew-built riddim include Pressure, Sizzla, Delly Ranx, Turbulence, Chezidek, and Jah Mason.
If you’re a fan of sweet singers like Tarrus Riley, Beres Hammond, or Lukie D, you can add another great to that list: Bescenta. The roots crooner is climbing the charts with his latest single, “Calm Down Your Nerves.” Previously, Bescenta hit in 2006 with the lovers rock track, “Special Night.”
17 North Parade has teamed up with Wax Poetics and New Era caps to commemorate the new vintage reggae collection, Reggae Anthology: Randy’s 50th Anniversary, out October 28. Two hundred limited-edition New Era 59FIFTY fitted caps will be offered with the album in a special 50th Anniversary bundle, available at New Era flagship stores in New York and Toronto.
U.K. DJ veterans Tippa Irie and Pato Banton perform in California Friday October 17 at Orange County’s Brixton South Bay, 100 J-Fishermans Wharf, Redondo Beach. Tippa Irie is celebrating the release of his new CD, Talk The Truth, and will do further So Cal dates in LA, Long Beach and San Diego.
The Mighty Diamonds play live in Philly Wednesday October 29 at The North Star Bar, 2639 Poplar Street, 9 p.m.
Reggae Vibes October 1978 Flashback Chart
1. TeTrack “sn't It Time” (Rockers)
2. Hugh Mundell “Great Tribulation” (Message)
3. Augustus Pablo “Armageddon” (Message)
4. Tapper Zukie “Freedom Street” (Stars)
5. Phillip Frazer “Come Ethiopians” (Freedom Sounds)
6. Sugar Minott “In The Residence” (Lightning)
7. The Meditations “Think So” (Black Art)
8. Rod Taylor “Behold Him” (Message)
9. Ken Boothe “Who Really Cares” (Roots International)
10. Junior Delgado “Armed Robbery” (Crazy Joe)
Pictured: Macka Diamond. Photo by Debbie Bragg.
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- NewsCheck Out a 40-Minute Live Set from Juju & Jordash
- FeatureHi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- NewsPixelord, DZA, 813, and Others to Appear on Upcoming Russia-Focused Compilation
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player