Anticon Celebrates Tenth Birthday in NYC
- Words: Lulu McAllister
Bay Area avant-hop label anticon. will celebrate its tenth birthday on December 18 at New York’s Knitting Factory. The event will feature appearances by the newly refreshed duo Themselves (doseone and Jel), Yoni Wolf of WHY?, Alias, label founders Sole and pedestrian and other special guests, who will perform a “stack of mini-sets” merged into one medley, according to the event flier.
anticon. emerged in 1998 as an artist collective of individuals bound by a mutual appreciation of underground rap and traditional hip-hop. Founders Sole (Time Holland) and pedestrian (James Brandon Best) named the label with their desire for boundless, challenging art in mind. The label gained momentum with the inclusion of jel (Jeffrey Logan), doesone (Adam Drucker), alias (Brendon Whitney) and eventually WHY’s Yoni Wolf. Music from the label has been filed under various genres and its founders don’t feel the need to settle on a single one anytime soon. The label website reads, “We find ourselves in the half-twenties of strange lives, in the middle of a unfathomable world, and we are grateful for company: future friends, listeners, and artists alike.”
Here’s to another ten years.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player