Anticon Celebrates Tenth Birthday in NYC
- Words: Lulu McAllister
Bay Area avant-hop label anticon. will celebrate its tenth birthday on December 18 at New York’s Knitting Factory. The event will feature appearances by the newly refreshed duo Themselves (doseone and Jel), Yoni Wolf of WHY?, Alias, label founders Sole and pedestrian and other special guests, who will perform a “stack of mini-sets” merged into one medley, according to the event flier.
anticon. emerged in 1998 as an artist collective of individuals bound by a mutual appreciation of underground rap and traditional hip-hop. Founders Sole (Time Holland) and pedestrian (James Brandon Best) named the label with their desire for boundless, challenging art in mind. The label gained momentum with the inclusion of jel (Jeffrey Logan), doesone (Adam Drucker), alias (Brendon Whitney) and eventually WHY’s Yoni Wolf. Music from the label has been filed under various genres and its founders don’t feel the need to settle on a single one anytime soon. The label website reads, “We find ourselves in the half-twenties of strange lives, in the middle of a unfathomable world, and we are grateful for company: future friends, listeners, and artists alike.”
Here’s to another ten years.
- NewsCheck Out a Playlist of the Top 100 Paradise Garage Tracks
- GearWatch Addison Groove Give an Extensive Tour of His Studio
- NewsCheck Out an 18-Mintue Remix from Ricardo Villalobos and Max Loderbauer
- NewsStream a New Modeselektor Track from the Forthcoming 'Bleep:10' Compilation
- NewsTOBACCO Shares New "Extremely NSFW" Video
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player