• Filed under: News
  • 01/27/2009

RIP Telefon Tel Aviv's Charlie Cooper

Charlie Cooper, one-half of Telefon Tel Aviv, has passed away at the age 31, it's been reported.

The cause of his death is still unknown, but bandmate and friend Joshua Eustis left the following message on the band's MySpace page.

"It breaks my heart to inform you all that Charlie Cooper, my better half in Telefon Tel Aviv, passed away on January 22.

We have been friends since high school, and began making records together a decade ago. We have been so fortunate to tour the world together, while at the same time having a massive amount of laughs at one another's expense.

Aside from Charlie's singular genius and musical gifts, I can tell you that he was a total sweetheart of a guy, and a loving friend and confidant to people everywhere. His musicianship was surpassed only by his greater gift to the world—his warmth, his generosity, his unquenchable humor, and his undying loyalty to those he loved. In the spirit of honorable mention, however, I should mention that he had a shoe collection that was marvelous, knowledge of hip-hop that was profound, and knowledge of wine that was subtle.

He is survived by a sister, a neice, a nephew, his mother, his stepfather, me, and more adoring friends than the Universe has dark matter. As such, his family and I ask for your discretion and consideration of our privacy during these extremely turbulent waters."

More details as to the cause of his death will follow in the coming days.

Update: According to a CBS Chicago article, Cooper went missing last Wednesday night, after an argument with his girlfriend, and was found Monday in the Near Northwest Side neighborhood in Chicago. An autopsy is scheduled for today to determine the cause of his death.

Cooper (left) and Eustis.

14 comments RIP Telefon Tel Aviv's Charlie Cooper

kim (not verified) Wrote

Tue, 01/27/2009 - 13:25

awful news. sorry you're gone charlie.

hope you will rest peacefully.

brendon (not verified) Wrote

Tue, 01/27/2009 - 15:39

RIP

Amazing musician and extremely nice, humble human being

workethic (not verified) Wrote

Tue, 01/27/2009 - 17:16

This is incredibly sad news. It was through Nine Inch Nails I discovered Telefon Tel Aviv and through them I discovered so many other fantastic musicians. It was because of Telefon Tel Aviv I found both Hefty Records and Ghostly International while raising the bar for music as a whole. I have loved Telefon Tel Aviv since the very beginning and now regret deeply never seeing them live. Their first album, Fahrenheit Fair Enough, truly changed the way I heard and thought about music. Their second album, Map Of What Is Effortless, spoke very loudly to what they could achieve. Their countless remixes and singles were always pleasant surprises between releases and their production work with L'Altra was beautiful. Their latest record, Immolate Yourself, is a testament to their electronic influences and should be embraced. Charlie Cooper's contribution to music will always be remembered.

jonfreeze (not verified) Wrote

Wed, 01/28/2009 - 10:34

That is awful. Very sorry to hear about the news I am still a big fan.

Eric (not verified) Wrote

Wed, 01/28/2009 - 11:56

Please, I hope Charlie's family knows how much people appreciated the music he and Josh created. THANK you for what you have given to this world Charlie. Rest your soul, we will all meet in our dreams.

JD (not verified) Wrote

Thu, 01/29/2009 - 10:41

the most stand up guy i knew. for real. they dont make em like this anymore.

Manny (not verified) Wrote

Thu, 01/29/2009 - 10:46

No tengo palabras de lo triste que son esta noticias. Everything else has been said here.

Jay (not verified) Wrote

Thu, 01/29/2009 - 14:42

Charlie was a high school friend back in New Orleans. We will miss him dearly and remember him everytime I hear the beatiful vibrations he gave us.

Fernando (not verified) Wrote

Thu, 01/29/2009 - 21:24

Estoy triste, porque perdi la oportunidad de verlos tocar en montreal el año pasado.

like workethic I found them by nine inch nails and from Limbik Frequencies radio on itunes. Their music is the color of my last 7 years.

we'll miss you Charlie

JPR (not verified) Wrote

Fri, 01/30/2009 - 13:27

Charlie has been a good friend since high school and the things I especially remember about him were my respect for his musical tastes and his sense of humor. He was one of those people who had charisma and presence. There was always a creative push concerning his appreciation of music and not settling for less when it came to artistic effort. I know he held himself to the same high standard.

Descriptors do no justice, but Charlie will be terribly missed. Another creative flame leaving us prematurely.

Ivan (not verified) Wrote

Wed, 02/04/2009 - 20:23

I worked with the MOLE at Gamay Bistro in New Orleans (before he became a famous musician and signed with Hefty and moved to Chicago)...amazing man...what a personality...what a waste! Condolences to family and friends, especially Josh.

NNH (not verified) Wrote

Thu, 02/05/2009 - 08:55

My favorite band this decade. RIP

Let's Go Outside (not verified) Wrote

Wed, 02/11/2009 - 11:34

Have been out for a bit and just heard this. Aw, man. This is terrible. Met him and Joshua at Decibel Festival in 2006 and we kicked it all night. Had such a good time hanging with them -- real stand up and super nice guy. Damn, awful...

Lara (not verified) Wrote

Wed, 02/11/2009 - 14:13

I have been carrying around this sadness since I heard...I cannot describe how much TTV means to me, earlier art projects of mine came out of them and then became them, they have always been there. Never had the privilege to see them live... My heart goes out to all who knew Charlie.