Raise it Up for Ma Dukes
- Words: Jennifer Marston
On February 10, 2006, James "J Dilla" Yancey" passed away after an ongoing battle with lupus. Now, the late hip-hop legend's own mother, Maureen "Ma Dukes" Yancey, is also suffering from the disease.
Her news reached the music world just as "Dilla month" kicks off, and so celebrating the late producer on the anniversary of his death this year should include not just remembering his contributions to hip-hop (and music in general), but also supporting a worthy cause.
Stones Throw commissioned Amsterdam-based graphic artist Parra to design a t-shirt bearing the phrase "Raise it Up for Ma Dukes," which will be sold at online retailers like Turntable Lab, Digital Gravel, and Fat Beats. Proceeds, obviously, go towards Maureen Yancey's battle with lupus.
Learn more about Lupus here.
Photo of J Dilla by B+
- NewsWatch a New Video for Fatima's "Rest in Peace"
- FeatureDekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- NewsIkonika Streams New Track from Upcoming Hyperdub EP, Drops New Mix
- MP3Remote "Alcyone (Matt Walsh Remix)"
- Dekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- Record Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
XLR8R Downloads Player