Raise it Up for Ma Dukes
- Words: Jennifer Marston
On February 10, 2006, James "J Dilla" Yancey" passed away after an ongoing battle with lupus. Now, the late hip-hop legend's own mother, Maureen "Ma Dukes" Yancey, is also suffering from the disease.
Her news reached the music world just as "Dilla month" kicks off, and so celebrating the late producer on the anniversary of his death this year should include not just remembering his contributions to hip-hop (and music in general), but also supporting a worthy cause.
Stones Throw commissioned Amsterdam-based graphic artist Parra to design a t-shirt bearing the phrase "Raise it Up for Ma Dukes," which will be sold at online retailers like Turntable Lab, Digital Gravel, and Fat Beats. Proceeds, obviously, go towards Maureen Yancey's battle with lupus.
Learn more about Lupus here.
Photo of J Dilla by B+
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- MP3Astronomar "Gargoile (Massacooramaan Remix)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player