Raise it Up for Ma Dukes
- Words: Jennifer Marston
On February 10, 2006, James "J Dilla" Yancey" passed away after an ongoing battle with lupus. Now, the late hip-hop legend's own mother, Maureen "Ma Dukes" Yancey, is also suffering from the disease.
Her news reached the music world just as "Dilla month" kicks off, and so celebrating the late producer on the anniversary of his death this year should include not just remembering his contributions to hip-hop (and music in general), but also supporting a worthy cause.
Stones Throw commissioned Amsterdam-based graphic artist Parra to design a t-shirt bearing the phrase "Raise it Up for Ma Dukes," which will be sold at online retailers like Turntable Lab, Digital Gravel, and Fat Beats. Proceeds, obviously, go towards Maureen Yancey's battle with lupus.
Learn more about Lupus here.
Photo of J Dilla by B+
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- NewsCheck Out a 40-Minute Live Set from Juju & Jordash
- FeatureHi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- NewsPixelord, DZA, 813, and Others to Appear on Upcoming Russia-Focused Compilation
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player