The Return of Themselves
- Words: Jennifer Marston
Adam "Doseone" Drucker and Jeffrey "Jel" Logan ended a six-year-long silence this week by announcing the return of Themselves, the pair's production/rap project from which we've not seen a release since 2003's The No Music.
The Oakland, CA-based boys haven't been twiddling their thumbs all this long while though. Both are active members of avant-hop sextet Subtle, which released ExitingARM last year, and a Themselves mixtape is set to drop in March via anticon.
Says Drucker of the mixtape, which will appear "in various places around the internet" for free, "It is our version of a classic mixtape, featuring [all the] rappers I have ever shared mic'ed air with."
If you know Drucker's resume, this list includes Aesop Rock, Busdriver, WHY?, Buck 65, Passage, Pedestrian, Sole, Slug, and a whole host of others, all of whom appear on TheFREEhoudini. "It is an ever-developing posse cut to commemorate 10 years of rap-based art in the name of the ant," says Drucker. In plain talk, that means a lot of guys are going to be on the mic at once during each track, singing the praises of the anticon. label, which is currently celebrating its 10-year anniversary.
Drucker and Logan also have plans for a new full-length, slated for release in August. The already titled CrownsDown will mark the third Themselves long-player.
In the meantime, they'll play the usual round of festivals, SXSW and Coachella included, but if you can't wait that long and happen to live in the Bay Area, head to the Apple store Saturday afternoon, for the Terrorbird/XLR8R Noise Pop party, where the duo will perform.
Pictured: Drucker (left) and Logan. Photo by Mathew Scott.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsHear a New Remix from Joy Orbison
- NewsSBTRKT Releases Interactive Video for "Look Away"
- NewsStream a Track from Locked Groove's Upcoming EP
- GearArtist Tips: Addison Groove Shares Five of His Production Secrets
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player