Thomas Fehlmann, Gudrun Gut Play CMKY
- Words: Jennifer Marston
Multi-day electronic-music gatherings are to be expected in places like Miami, Barcelona, Montreal, and Detroit. Boulder, CO is a less likely destination for artists like Thomas Fehlmann and Christopher Willits to wind up, but that’s exactly where they—along with 50 or so other artists from around the world—will perform come April, for the second annual Communikey Festival of Electronic Arts (CMKY).
The three-day event is set to coincide with Earth Day 2009, and that's no coincidence, since CMKY's credo is all about showcasing artists in a "green" environment. “If the dancefloor builds the strongest community we know, I feel the issue of sustainability needs to be breathed into the industry,” Kate Lesta explained in a 2008 interview with XLR8R.
Ergo, this is a "zero waste" festival we’re dealing with, one that implements recycling and compost bins, bio-fuel generators and carbon offsetting, and "how-to" workshops about creating environmentally friendly events.
Not to be forgotten of course is the music, which will take place in six different venues around Boulder and feature a hefty roundup of electronic artists showcasing their tunes from April 17 – 19. Check the festival's site for updates.
Future Simple Project
The New Denver Orchestra
Festival website launches late February, 2009
- GearArtist Tips: Mister Saturday Night on the Importance of Building a Proper DJ Booth
- NewsWatch Ben UFO's RBMA Lecture
- MP3Machines in Heaven "Hindu Milk (Debukas Remix)"
- NewsStream Keysound's Upcoming 'Certified Connections' Compilation
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Maya Jane Coles, Joy Orbison, Mister Saturday Night, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player