- Words: Jennifer Marston
Desmond "Ninjaman" Ballentine has been arrested and charged with murder, conspiracy to murder, shooting with intent, and illegal possession of a firearm, it’s being reported.
According to the Jamaica Star, the well-known dancehall DJ has been linked to the murder of 20-year-old Robert Johnson. Johnson, according to the paper, was outside of his Kingston, Jamaica home with a friend on Tuesday when a gray car containing three men showed up. An argument broke out between Johnson’s friend and the vehicle’s occupants. The car drove away, but later returned, at which time the occupants opened fire and hit Johnson, who later died in the hospital.
Assistant Police Commissioner Les Green told the Jamaica Observer, "[Ballantine] was questioned [Tuesday] afternoon and, as a result of that interview, the chargers were laid." He added that the police “had a good case” against Ballantine.
The arrest isn't the first run-in Ninjaman has encountered with the law. In the late-'90s, he was accused of raping a woman at knife point and murdering a taxi driver, in addition to being sentenced to a year in jail after being convicted of unlawful possession of a firearm.
He is currently being held in custody.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- Feature20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- PodcastMaxmillion Dunbar
- NewsXosar Preps New EP for Valcrond Video
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player