In April, XLR8R and Onitsuka Tiger sponsored Boredoms’ U.S. tour, which made stops in San Diego, L.A., and San Francisco before heading east for New York. The Japanese noise demigods, who signed to Chicago’s Thrill Jockey earlier this year, performed all shows “in the round,” affording the audience better views of their immensely complex music-making apparatuses, and further pushing the boundaries of the way rock shows are experienced. Read more »
Cassava Piece, Kingston singjay Mavado is set to star in a new movie. According to reports, the artist, who is in the charts this week with his song “Brown Bottle,” will play a sinister character named “Gully God” in Steve McAlpin’s forthcoming film, What Goes Around. No release date has been announced. Last week, the VP recording artist was confirmed for a Nike Olympics promotional campaign. Additionally, gun crime charges that prevented a recent U.S. Read more »
With only the leaked single “Floating” to her name, Atlanta-based soul singer Stacy Epps has caused a stir with DJs on both sides of the Atlantic. BBC Radio 1’s Gilles Peterson featured the song on his Brownswood Bubblers Volume 3 release and Epps has been profiled and mentioned across the blogosphere. What will she do to fulfill the hype? Epps will drop her debut album, The Awakening, on August 5 on New Directions in Sound/Japanubia Musik.
Read more »
Ben Watt has a couple good reasons to celebrate this month. His Buzzin' Fly imprint is not only celebrating its five-year anniversary, but there's also a triple-disc compilation set for release on June 23 that showcases both the label's history and future, from Watt's infamous "Lone Cat" track to dark techno bangers from John Tejada.
Read more »
The mix drops June 24 and will be available exclusively in the Nike Sport Music section of iTunes.
Montreal-born, New York-based producer A-Trak will tackle the fourth installment of Nike's Original Run series, which, for the last few years, has commissioned producers to create a single, continuous track supposedly fit for one's iPod when running on a treadmill.
Read more »
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player