In 1999, Metro Area shook up a flaccid house music scene with the release of "Atmosphrique," the first of several influential singles created by New Jersey producers Morgan Geist and Darshan Jesrani. Likewise, Metro Area’s 2002 self-titled album was a critic’s favorite and widely considered a club classic.
Read more »
Canada may not be a hotbed for rappers, but 21-year-old Roland “Cadence Weapon” Pemberton has done the great North American nation proud. His debut album, Breaking Kayfabe (Upper Class), not only earned him a Polaris Music Prize nomination, but it also set him a step above his aged contemporaries, gaining him remixes for the likes of Lady Sovereign, Disco D, and Kid Sister. Read more »
A look at 2008’s Plug Music Awards tells us that, though it may not be groundbreaking indie-underdogs, this year’s ceremony may be one of the most interesting competitions between independent titans in recent history. Who wouldn’t take note of an Artist of the Year battle between El-P, Animal Collective, and Radiohead? Hmmm. Predictably, Justice, Of Montreal, and Arcade Fire are up for nearly every award. Exciting.
Read more »
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsDefected Announces Masters at Work Anthology
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsTerekke Preps New EP for L.I.E.S., Streams Title Track
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player