Hell Rell For the Hell of It KochRead more »
With Urban Outfitters’ design teams replicating Slayer shirts and Etnies’ Altamant fashion division releasing a Jimi Hendrix artwork series, there’s no denying the ever-growing, and usually ridiculous, “I’m down with vintage rock” fashion trend that’s been surfacing over the past few years. Fortunately, the New York-based line Mishka is giving the proverbial middle finger to the imposters with its Rasputin shirt, based on the almighty (and fictional?) band of the same name.
Digitalism “Idealistic” Kitsuné
I’m not sure when DJ A-Trak decided it was a good idea to employ cowbells and acoustic drums in his compositions, but it was a pretty good decision. His “Idealistic” reinterpretation is a glitchy disco-house track that gives the original new life with an assembly of percussive toms. Accompanied by Digitalism’s extended mix, as well as more disco-meets-electro remixes via WhoMadeWho and Hystereo, this 12” will be at the front of crates for months to come. Read more »
Over the past few years, Arturia has released a series of retro emulations, from the Minimoog to the Jupiter 8 to Yamaha’s CS-80, all of which not only sound comparable to their vintage predecessors, but also won’t come close to braking producers’ wallets (quite unlike the aged hardware synths). For those composers who can’t decide which of these individual blasts from the past are right for their instrument libraries, Arturia has made the decision for you with the V Collection.
For this very special edition of the XLR8R DJ Podcast DJ Series, we wrangled up Los Angeles-based Glitch Mob for a glimpse at the new world of electro-infused hip-hop. Grabbing unreleased and forthcoming tracks from the likes of edIT, Clipse, The Grouch, Ooah, and even a rare Dre and Snoop remix, these mobsters have turned an out intricately woven, chopped-up glitch haven on this exclusive mix.
He was a friend of The Clash and the first Jamaican disc jockey to use sound effects and vocal drops between songs. Now, Michael Campbell (a.k.a. “the original” Mikey Dread) has gone on record in an exclusive Bad Gals radio podcast to clear up rumors about his life, his music, and a copycat DJ with a similar name.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- MP3Astronomar "Gargoile (Massacooramaan Remix)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player