Aesop Rock takes a giant leap forward with jazz-flavored hip-hop on his latest full-length, None Shall Pass. Likewise, Waajeed and partner Tiombe Lockhart up the ante with some serious soul on The War (which includes production work from the late J Dilla), and Wiley might be proclaiming that Playtime is Over, but he's making quite an exit if that's the case. Meanwhile, Detroit and Chicago have a head-to-head collision on Windimoto's new track, and the one-man band Blue States adds another solid track to the instrumental rock catalog.
Read more »
Xavier de Rosnay and Gaspard Augé (a.k.a. Justice) will have their hands and suitcases full for the next few months, hopping from continent to continent, crossing hemispheres, and igniting crowds with their distorted electro chops that have inspired an entire wave of music over the last couple years. And gone are the days of watching the short one do all the DJing while the tall one stands by idly smoking cigarettes and flipping through CD booklets. Read more »
Despite its slightly humiliating name, Way Out Ware's KikAxxe virtual vintage analog synthesizer is one of the few software instruments that measures up to the original. This 16-step sequencer is a direct emulation of the ARP Axxe, a lightweight, monophonic beast that rivaled the MiniMoog back in the day. In addition to replicating the '70s crunch of its analog peer, the Kik Axxe–which just so happens to be PC and Mac compatible–also features a drum machine that can be assigned to a separate MIDI channel (which can make for some serious live potential).
Read more »
Arno Kammermeier and Walter Merziger–alias Booka Shade, founders of the Get Physical imprint–are a production duo, not DJ tag team, and the two have solidified this image by eschewing the usual hum-drum laptop sets in favor of more “hands-on” performances. But now, the duo switches gears with its DJ-mix debut for !K7’s acclaimed DJ-Kicks series.
Read more »
- FeatureLabels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- NewsLegowelt and Willie Burns Launch Bizarre Online TV Show; Watch the First Episode Now
- NewsCheck Out a New Mix from Mount Kimbie
- NewsListen to Huxley's Upcoming Debut LP, 'Blurred'
- FeatureLabels We Love: 10 More of Our Favorite Labels, Plus Some Newcomers Worth Watching
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
- October 20: MUTEK.MX with Andy Stott, The Bug, Roman Flügel, Objekt, Laurel Halo, Oneohtrix Point Never, and More
- November 5: Club to Club with Caribou, SBTRKT, Recondite, Marcel Dettmann, Clark, Vessel, Luke Vibert, Jacques Greene, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player