Artist To Watch: Stephen McGregor
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
Who: Stephen McGregor
Location: Kingston, Jamaica
The son of veteran roots singer Freddie McGregor, 18-year-old wunderkind dancehall producer Stephen McGregor (a.k.a. Di Genius) began wandering into the studio as a small child, recording his first track at age six and ultimately teaching himself five different instruments. These days he’s one of Jamaica’s hottest—and youngest—dancehall producers, crafting beats for a-list artists like Mavado, Vybz Cartel, and Bounty Killer. Known for fearlessly incorporating a wild mash of sounds, his riddims—with titles like Shadow, Ghetto Whiskey, and Red Bull & Guinness—are taking dancehall into the future.
Watch: Vybz Kartel - "My Scheme (Darker Shadow Riddim)
Watch: Wayne Marshall - "Me By Myself"
Watch: Sean Paul - "Watch Dem Roll"
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- Feature20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
XLR8R Downloads Player