No Age, Deerhoof in New Design Collection
- Words: Maverick Newberry
Most music heads want to rep their favorite band or artist via their wardrobe, but finding an original getup in this age of mass production is no easy task.
Enter Soundscreen Design's Summer 2009 collection, for which the music-inspired product design company (owned by Insound) commissioned three studios to create original artwork on t-shirts, hoodies, and totes for the likes of No Age, Gang Gang Dance, Deerhoof, Fucked Up, and a few other prominent indie rock darlings.
As for the designers, Soundscreen chose Jay Ryan's The Bird Machine project to create the gear for Battles, The National, and Pelican, while Montreal-based music and visual art group Seripop worked on Deerhoof, Fucked Up, and Handsome Furs. Meanwhile, XLR8R Vis-Ed artist Brian Roettinger and his Hand Held Heart collective took on Gang Gang Dance, Liars, and No Age, the latter two for which Roettinger has already designed art and packaging.
All gear is 100% organic (clothing is cotton, totes are bamboo), with custom-sizing available. As expected, these goodies are limited edition, so pre-order before the Urban Outfitters massive gets wind of this line. The collection is available soon.
From left: Designs for Fucked Up, Gang Gang Dance, and Battles.
- GearArtist Tips: Mister Saturday Night on the Importance of Building a Proper DJ Booth
- NewsWatch Ben UFO's RBMA Lecture
- MP3Machines in Heaven "Hindu Milk (Debukas Remix)"
- NewsStream Keysound's Upcoming 'Certified Connections' Compilation
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Maya Jane Coles, Joy Orbison, Mister Saturday Night, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player