Artist to Watch: Raffertie
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
Where: Birmingham, U.K.
Armed with a giant hairdo and some seriously wicked beats, this 21-year-old upstart has burst onto the U.K. wonky scene with a series of bass-heavy tracks and bootleg remixes. Born Benjamin Stefanski, and often recognized by the mysterious pair of scissors he uses as a logo, Raffertie has won over the bassline and dubstep crowd (not to mention BBC radio queen Mary Anne Hobbs) with low-end smashers like “Wobble Horror!” and “Antisocial,” a buzzing, chipmunk-voiced anthem-in-the-making on Starkey’s Seclusiasis label. His efforts have not gone unnoticed, as the boy has been tapped for official remixes of everyone from Trevor Loveys and AC Slater to Franz Ferdinand.
- GearIn the Studio: Surgeon
- GearAsk the Experts: Vladislav Delay
- GearKuvo: What Is It, How Does It Work, and Is It a Good Idea? (a.k.a. an XLR8R Interview with Pioneer About Its Newest Product)
- NewsWatch a Documentary on the Club Music Culture of Colombia's Caribbean Coast
- FeaturePachanga, Pantha du Prince, and a Japanese Drone Dance: 10 Reasons We Loved MUTEK.MX 2014
XLR8R Downloads Player