Artist to Watch: Raffertie
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
Where: Birmingham, U.K.
Armed with a giant hairdo and some seriously wicked beats, this 21-year-old upstart has burst onto the U.K. wonky scene with a series of bass-heavy tracks and bootleg remixes. Born Benjamin Stefanski, and often recognized by the mysterious pair of scissors he uses as a logo, Raffertie has won over the bassline and dubstep crowd (not to mention BBC radio queen Mary Anne Hobbs) with low-end smashers like “Wobble Horror!” and “Antisocial,” a buzzing, chipmunk-voiced anthem-in-the-making on Starkey’s Seclusiasis label. His efforts have not gone unnoticed, as the boy has been tapped for official remixes of everyone from Trevor Loveys and AC Slater to Franz Ferdinand.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player