Artist to Watch: Rainbow Arabia
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
Who: Rainbow Arabia
Where: Los Angeles, CA
Husband-and-wife duo Rainbow Arabia (a.k.a. Daniel and Tiffany Preston) has been simmering in the L.A. underground ever since the release of last fall’s The Basta EP, but the upcoming release of their debut album, Kabukimono, is sure to bring things to a boil. Initially inspired by Middle Eastern sounds found on a couple of Sublime Frequencies compilations—Daniel actually ordered some microtonal synths from Lebanon online—the pair’s latest offerings incorporate a variety of tropical, African, and Southeast Asian rhythms into their dark and danceable aesthetic. With humorous videos (the clip for “Omar K” chronicles the “horrors” of werewolves unleashed in a supermarket) and a sound that could be described as a globetrotting Gang Gang Dance, Rainbow Arabia’s twisted tropical vibes just might be the perfect soundtrack for a sweaty summer.
Listen: "Haunted Hall"
Watch: "OMAR K"
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsDownload a Lush Ambient Production from xxxy
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player