Artist to Watch: Rainbow Arabia
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
Who: Rainbow Arabia
Where: Los Angeles, CA
Husband-and-wife duo Rainbow Arabia (a.k.a. Daniel and Tiffany Preston) has been simmering in the L.A. underground ever since the release of last fall’s The Basta EP, but the upcoming release of their debut album, Kabukimono, is sure to bring things to a boil. Initially inspired by Middle Eastern sounds found on a couple of Sublime Frequencies compilations—Daniel actually ordered some microtonal synths from Lebanon online—the pair’s latest offerings incorporate a variety of tropical, African, and Southeast Asian rhythms into their dark and danceable aesthetic. With humorous videos (the clip for “Omar K” chronicles the “horrors” of werewolves unleashed in a supermarket) and a sound that could be described as a globetrotting Gang Gang Dance, Rainbow Arabia’s twisted tropical vibes just might be the perfect soundtrack for a sweaty summer.
Listen: "Haunted Hall"
Watch: "OMAR K"
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- MP3Aashton "I've Had Enough"
- NewsStream 'Gem Drops Four' Featuring The Range, Pixelord, Natasha Kmeto, Anenon, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player