Artist to Watch: Rainbow Arabia
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
Who: Rainbow Arabia
Where: Los Angeles, CA
Husband-and-wife duo Rainbow Arabia (a.k.a. Daniel and Tiffany Preston) has been simmering in the L.A. underground ever since the release of last fall’s The Basta EP, but the upcoming release of their debut album, Kabukimono, is sure to bring things to a boil. Initially inspired by Middle Eastern sounds found on a couple of Sublime Frequencies compilations—Daniel actually ordered some microtonal synths from Lebanon online—the pair’s latest offerings incorporate a variety of tropical, African, and Southeast Asian rhythms into their dark and danceable aesthetic. With humorous videos (the clip for “Omar K” chronicles the “horrors” of werewolves unleashed in a supermarket) and a sound that could be described as a globetrotting Gang Gang Dance, Rainbow Arabia’s twisted tropical vibes just might be the perfect soundtrack for a sweaty summer.
Listen: "Haunted Hall"
Watch: "OMAR K"
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
XLR8R Downloads Player