Artist to Watch: Voodeux
- Words: Lulu McAllister
Where: Boston, MA / Philadelphia, PA
Producers Tanner Ross and James Watts (a.k.a. KiloWatts) met six years ago on a website devoted to music production and have been in cahoots ever since under the name Voodeux. With approximately 300 miles between their respective homes, the M.O. hasn’t changed; the two still exchange macabre ideas and cement their trademark creepy beats entirely over the internet. Voodeux brings listeners into the world of shadowy techno and haunted house—without being too spooky for the occasional funk line or electronic handclap. After hearing the duo’s sinister sound on their 2008 EP, The Curses, Claude Von Stroke commissioned the boys to craft an album and further indulge their inherent dark tendencies. Thus, they set about spinning a disturbed web of edgy, minimal techno that would eventually become their debut full-length, The Paranormal, set to drop this July.
Listen: "Just a Spoonful (Edit)"
- GearArtist Tips: Mister Saturday Night on the Importance of Building a Proper DJ Booth
- NewsWatch Ben UFO's RBMA Lecture
- MP3Machines in Heaven "Hindu Milk (Debukas Remix)"
- NewsStream Keysound's Upcoming 'Certified Connections' Compilation
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Maya Jane Coles, Joy Orbison, Mister Saturday Night, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player