Artist to Watch: Ghosts on Tape
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
Who: Ghosts on Tape
Where: San Francisco, CA
The past year or so has seen the term “tropical bass” increasingly bandied about, but few artists encapsulate the idea like Ghosts on Tape. Using only a pair of antiquated samplers with beats stored on floppy disks, St. Louis transplant Ryan Merry concocts a raw, speaker-blowing mix of electro, grime, dancehall, reggaeton, and more. Mary Anne Hobbs recently tapped him for an exclusive mix on her BBC radio show, and his debut Predator Mode EP is slated to drop soon on Glasgow’s Wireblock label.
Listen: "Omar K (Ghosts on Tape Remix)"
Listen: "Sunchips (Ghosts on Tape Remix)"
- GearArtist Tips: Peter Van Hoesen on How to Listen More Effectively
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsRecondite Announces Upcoming LP for Innervisions, Streams New Track
- NewsHear Seven Davis Jr Remix Martyn
- NewsSBTRKT Drops Video for "New Dorp. New York"
XLR8R Downloads Player