Artist to Watch: Ghosts on Tape
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
Who: Ghosts on Tape
Where: San Francisco, CA
The past year or so has seen the term “tropical bass” increasingly bandied about, but few artists encapsulate the idea like Ghosts on Tape. Using only a pair of antiquated samplers with beats stored on floppy disks, St. Louis transplant Ryan Merry concocts a raw, speaker-blowing mix of electro, grime, dancehall, reggaeton, and more. Mary Anne Hobbs recently tapped him for an exclusive mix on her BBC radio show, and his debut Predator Mode EP is slated to drop soon on Glasgow’s Wireblock label.
Listen: "Omar K (Ghosts on Tape Remix)"
Listen: "Sunchips (Ghosts on Tape Remix)"
- GearArtist Tips: Mister Saturday Night on the Importance of Building a Proper DJ Booth
- NewsWatch Ben UFO's RBMA Lecture
- NewsStream Keysound's Upcoming 'Certified Connections' Compilation
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Maya Jane Coles, Joy Orbison, Mister Saturday Night, and More
- MP3Machines in Heaven "Hindu Milk (Debukas Remix)"
XLR8R Downloads Player