Georgia Anne Signs to Ubiquity
- Words: Thomas Rees
San Francisco's Ubiquity Recordings, the premier label for forward-thinking jazz, hip-hop, and R&B, has just signed Georgia Anne Muldrow to its roster, with an EP coming in the fall and an album in early 2010. Muldrow is a perfect fit for the esoteric label, as her productions stretch the limits of genre—on one track she can channel Lauryn Hill's rapping style over a stuttering break, and on the next she can belt out some positive vibes over a funky '70s Motown beat. What's more, she often plays most of the instruments on her productions, and has produced for Mos Def ("Roses") and played on a number of Erykah Badu tracks. With a new baby in tow, Muldrow is certainly keeping busy, and in releasing her work, Ubiquity will be keeping with its tradition of putting out innovative acts, ranging from the leftfield psychedelic hip-hop of Sa-Ra to the jazzy house of Theo Parrish. Other upcoming fall releases for the label include an LP featuring the jazzy beats and breaks of Lord Newborn & The Magic Skulls, an LP of The Clonious' cosmic funk, and a 10" EP of hypnotic electronic beats by Bei-Bei and Shawn Lee.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player