Return of the Rub-A-Dub Style Trailer
- Words: Patric Fallon
The majority of the population would cite Bob Marley as the original harbinger of the reggae movement. But filmmaker and director of Beck's "Loser" music video Steve Hanft might have you think otherwise with his documentary, Return of the Rub-A-Dub Style, which features interviews and live footage of real roots-reggae legends and soundsystem pioneers Ranking Joe, Sister Nancy, U-Roy, Brigadier Jerry, Ranking Trevor, Welton Irie, Sugar Minott, Philip Fraser, and Triston Palma. The film showcases the performers at Los Angeles' Dub Club in Echo Park, some playing their first Californian shows there. In addition to the film, the retail DVD version of Return of the Rub-A-Dub Style comes correct with an accompanying compilation of original tracks recorded in L.A. at Kingsize Studio and in Kingston at Mixing Lab by artists featured in the documentary as well as other reggae veterans and some locals who regularly perform at Dub Club. The whole package is available August 4th, but those looking to get irie right now need look no further than the boom-boom trailer below.
- Feature20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- NewsDJ Sprinkles Plans Brief North American Tour
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsRoman Flügel Shares New Track from Upcoming LP
XLR8R Downloads Player