French dance music distributor Pusher Distribution, previously covered in XLR8R news, is offering a fresh batch of soul-reggae singles and EPs from a variety of independent labels this July that could possibly launch a summer music trend. Pusher will promote five new singles and EPs all featuring reggae covers or edits of classic soul and funk cuts.
Read more »
The folks over at Wham City have put a lot blood, sweat, and caffeinated soda into making Baltimore a haven for unabashed weirdness and sweaty parties. With a style that seems to both venerate and eviscerate the popular culture icons of the '80s and '90s, the art collective makes and promotes music that usually sounds like an old video game strung out on energy drinks and psychedelics. Read more »
Bass Reaction’s theme this month: Enter the Technodrome. Lately, dubstep has been infiltrated by interesting IDM and dub techno elements. For evidence, check out completely superb new recordings by 2562 (Aerial, on Tectonic), Scuba (A Mutual Antipathy, on Hotflush), iTAL tEK (Cyclical, on Planet Mu). and Appleblim’s standout mix compilation for Tempa, Dubstep All-Stars Volume 6. Read more »
Most folks have, at some point, spent time holed up in their bedrooms crafting meticulous playlists of their favorite tunes, but few have ever won anything for such efforts. Car company and marketing powerhouse Scion is ready to give obscure indie music lovers their due, with the Scion Playlist Contest.
Read more »
When it comes to music, Girl Talk will settle for nothing less than spectacular. His recent album, Feed the Animals, used 300 samples in 50 minutes, was released under an extensive pay-what-you-want plan, and now the inimitable man born Greg Gillis is packing his bags for a rather epic tour.
Read more »
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- Feature20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- PodcastMaxmillion Dunbar
- NewsXosar Preps New EP for Valcrond Video
- NewsLivity Sound Preps Remix Compilation Featuring Surgeon, Pangaea, and More
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player