Jesse Rose must be in the middle of his busy season, because the Berlin-based house producer has been touring like mad and releasing singe after single for the better part of 2007. Not only has homeboy remixed everyone from Armand Van Helden to Ben Mono, but he also has reinterpretations in the works for Simian Mobile Disco, Underworld, E-Dancer, and Swag. If you can’t wait for the release of Rose’s new vinyl annihilators, satiate your appetites with one of these dates.Read more »
San Francisco isn't a surprising place to find producers making European-stye house, but few accomplish this sound with as much originality as Connecticut-born, S.F.-based Justin Martin, co-founder of the dirtybird imprint (Claude VonStroke, Christian Martin), and also a member of Ben Watt's Buzzin' Fly label.
Human the Death Dance is rapper Sage Francis' fourth solo effort. Somewhat conceptual in its nature, the album is is comprised of two "halves"–the first being a relaxed, playful bunch of tracks, and the second something akin to a pensive breakup album. "Got Up This Morning" is off the first part, and features sultry vocals from Jolie Holland and laid back beats from pal Buck 65.Read more »
This week we explored the parameters of both low-budget and über-produced videos from the indie spectrum. First, Christopher Willits’ “Green and Gold” probed through the possibilities of color and shape combinations and their relation to melody, while Gomma’s newest disco producer Rodion proved how violent music can sometimes be. Next, M.I.A.Read more »
Another remix of one of music's indisputable greats–this time, Afrodisiac Sound System assumed the challenge of taking on Bob Marley–and with success. Speaking of accomplishing things, our hats go off to producer Maps, for creating his entire album on a lowly 16-track recorder. Back in remix land, Frankie Feliciano one-upped Ananda Project's original "In the Sunrise," with a Balaeric version of his own, and Marcin Czubala put his classical training to good use on a beat-happy new track.Read more »
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player