You don't have to be a jazz aficionado to have heard of Blue Note Records. Formed in 1939, the label has been both an important landmark in American jazz and also one of the top go-to places for sampling, particularly true where hip-hop is concerned. Jazz icons like Lou Donaldson, Ronnie Foster, and Donald Byrd have, over the years, found their way into tracks by everyone from DJ Krush to Dr. Dre, and whether the kids know it or not, have wielded much influence on hip-hop’s creative geniuses.
Read more »
Anticon's leftfield hip-hop trio WHY? is all over the news these days. As well as keeping busy with the soon-to-be released EP, The Hollows, and a forthcoming full-length (Alopecia, due out March 11), Yoni Wolf and company will also be playing some California dates this month. Wolf is set to open this handful of shows with a couple DJ sets at benefit gigs, and will be joined by bandmates later on in the month.
Read more »
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- MP3Aashton "I've Had Enough"
- NewsStream 'Gem Drops Four' Featuring The Range, Pixelord, Natasha Kmeto, Anenon, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player