U.S.-based reggae labels are once again heating up. In the 1980s, labels like Nighthawk–home to The Itals, The Gladiators, etc.–and Shanachie–with artists like Augustus Pablo and Culture–were among a healthy crop of American imprints offering consistently excellent releases by Jamaica’s best.Read more »
When the name “Flying Lotus” is conjured verbally, visions of completely cliché ‘90s rave imagery (neon lights, the ecstasy, and oh, god, the accessories) arises within us all. But Flying Lotus, known to his inner-circle as Steven Ellison, is no rave producer. As shown on last year’s 1983 LP (Plug Research), this L.A.Read more »
Since the boom of philosophic, politically conscious rap in the late ‘90s, many members of the hip-hop intelligetsia have gone in different directions. With Anticon. MC Sole moving on to production under the Mansbestfriend moniker, Atmosphere’s Slug pushing a more cynical approach to his relationship neuroses, and Mos Def acting alongside Bruce Willis, it seems as though the wave of intimate-rap has taken a new course–or lack thereof.
Read more »
German producer Stephan Bodzin is ready to destroy every single club in the world with his first full-length Liebe Ist, out this spring on his own Herzblut label. Bodzin spent years composing pieces for several respected European theaters, but now he generally spends time crushing techno-dork skulls with sludgy bass, Moog textures, and ear-piercing melodies. His tracks have been released on labels such as Get Physical, and he regularly collaborates as part of Elektrochemie with Oliver Huntemann.
For more than seven years, the couple Nicola Kuperus and Adam Lee Miller has created electro-punk that’s fueled a generation of disorderly clubgoers from coast to coast. On it’s fourth full-length, Adult. pushes its agro-anxious sound to groundbreaking levels with the thought provoking, paradoxical Why Bother?. Directed by and starring Adult., “I Feel Worse When I’m With You,” speaks volumes for the neuro-demons in us all.Read more »
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player