Overlap/Ghostly Release Chris McNamara
- Words: Thomas Rees
Ghostly International and Christopher Willits' Overlap imprint are ganging together for their first collaborative release, a lovely slice of ambient music from Michigan/Ontario-based artist Chris McNamara. Vague Cities is a five-track album that recalls Brian Eno, bvdub's more ambient moments, and even a bit of the Chain Reaction catalog. In keeping with Overlap's experimental mission, the record has been described as a sonic evocation of "snowy Detroit winters or watching a person's daily experience with public transportation slowed down to a more manageable pace," and this description certainly fits. With a long resume behind him, including exhibitions in Rotterdam, London, and elsewhere, McNamara's status will be heightened even more with Vague Cities.
Vague Cities comes out on October 6.
03 Sleeping Car/Shunting Yard
04 et puis
05 Subsandtaxis (Markus Guentner rmx)
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- NewsListen to Tin Man's Upcoming 'Ode' LP
- FeatureFive Artists Not to Miss at Vancouver's New Forms Festival
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player