Thrill Jockey's Limited 12" Series
- Words: Thomas Rees
- Photo: Peter Quinn
The folks over at Thrill Jockey keep busy, with an impressive number of releases appearing during any given season. Recently, the label has been putting out a number of limited 12" records, and of course, the genres represented are wildly diverse. First, Thank You's Pathetic Magic slab is a Baltimore affair, featuring remixes of the group's psychedelic punk from Dan Deacon, Lungfish's Asa Osborne, and others. Next up is the 21st-century psychedelia of White Hills, a new signing to the label. The quartet has been blowing speakers and minds for a while now, and with help from members of Oneida and Kurt Vile's band, it's no wonder that Thrill Jockey took them on. Finally, the electro-acoustic hypnotism of Mountains gets the vinyl treatment for a limited CDR that was originally distributed on their last tour, and in the spirit of unique editions, each jacket is hand-stamped. With even more coming from the Chicago stalwarts, including new stuff from Javelin and Radian, Thrill Jockey continues to push our ears beyond the blandness of so much contemporary music.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player