Hyperdub's First 2010 Release Has a Funky Stutter from Scratcha DVA
- Words: Thomas Rees
The venerable Hyperdub label will be staying as busy as ever come the new year, with three highly anticipated singles arriving before the end of March. The first is from young grime upstart DVA (a.k.a. Scratcha DVA), who goes into more UK funky territory on his latest slice, Natty/Ganja. "Natty" features collapsing percussive elements, intense polyrhythms, and a tribal feel that wouldn't sound out of place on a Culoe de Song record. "Ganja," on the other hand, is a bit sillier, its wonky synth line, organ stabs, and soca-like percussion creating a perfect ringtone for mobile devices everywhere.
Natty/ Ganja comes out January 18 on Hyperdub Recordings.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player