Jamie Lidell to Show Us the Way on His New Album
- Words: Patric Fallon
- Photo: Nicole Nodland
The recordings for Jamie Lidell's forthcoming third album, Compass, started down in Los Angeles while he was working with Beck on the artist's Record Club project (essentially a group of musicians coming together for an impromptu covering of classic albums). After things began to take off in Beck's home studio, Lidell moved the sessions all around between studios in LA, New York, and Canada, making time to catch contributions from Feist, Beck, and members of Grizzly Bear and Wilco. The album is said to be beyond eclectic, with large elements of funk, the ever-present focus on vocal power, and the soul of its mastermind, Mr. Lidell. On his upcoming album, Jamie said, "I wrote every song in a month. It's been an emotional couple of years, so I tapped into what I wanted to say and started writing. There was a lot to draw on." Compass will be released May 18 via Warp, with a tour featuring a full band to follow.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player