Juan MacLean in the House on Next DJ-KiCKS Release
- Words: Patric Fallon
- Photo: Tim Soter
Almost a decade and a half after its first release, !K7's DJ-KiCKS series is being treated to less of a typcial DJ mix and more of a music history lesson, courtesy of DFA mainstay Juan MacLean. The disco and house-obsessed artist took the six months before recording his contribution to DJ-KiCKS debating the relevance of the craft in 2010, and came to the conclusion that he would rather delve into his roots in dance music. What follows is a 72-minute long love-letter to the sweaty, throbbing ages of house, featuring the likes of Ian Breno, Armando, and Theo Parrish, and put together—live—using nothing but two turntables, a couple of filters, and tape delay. Of his mix, MacLean said, "It's easy to be self-indulgent and stay cool and make the proper moves. It's also easy to just play hit after hit, which most people do. But to somehow wrestle with those two things and emerge with something that considers both, seems more interesting." MacLean's DJ-KiCKS will be available April 27.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player