Juan MacLean in the House on Next DJ-KiCKS Release
- Words: Patric Fallon
- Photo: Tim Soter
Almost a decade and a half after its first release, !K7's DJ-KiCKS series is being treated to less of a typcial DJ mix and more of a music history lesson, courtesy of DFA mainstay Juan MacLean. The disco and house-obsessed artist took the six months before recording his contribution to DJ-KiCKS debating the relevance of the craft in 2010, and came to the conclusion that he would rather delve into his roots in dance music. What follows is a 72-minute long love-letter to the sweaty, throbbing ages of house, featuring the likes of Ian Breno, Armando, and Theo Parrish, and put together—live—using nothing but two turntables, a couple of filters, and tape delay. Of his mix, MacLean said, "It's easy to be self-indulgent and stay cool and make the proper moves. It's also easy to just play hit after hit, which most people do. But to somehow wrestle with those two things and emerge with something that considers both, seems more interesting." MacLean's DJ-KiCKS will be available April 27.
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- MP3Dengue Dengue Dengue! "Banana"
- NewsBoiler Room's 'Beats Unraveled' Series Continues with a Version of Shlohmo's "Places"
- NewsNicolas Jaar, 3 Chairs, Jamie xx, DJ Koze, and More Announced for Dekmantel 2014
- GearArtist Tips - Max Cooper Details Five Ways to Focus Your Artistic Vision and Tighten Up Your Productions
XLR8R Downloads Player