London's Plastic People Under Fire
- Words: Thomas Rees
- Photo: Simon Armstrong
Popular Shoreditch-area club Plastic People has come under fire from the local Hackney town council over concerns about crime prevention and public nuisance claims. Though the council hearing regarding the club's license isn't until March 31, the prospect of losing Plastic People has generated an outpouring of support and appreciation from club-goers all over the world. Perhaps what is most disturbing to many dance music enthusiasts and fans of the club is the regularity with which club closings seems to be occurring in London nowadays, mostly over specious claims of an all-pervasive drug culture. Plastic People, renowned for its world-class sound system and sophisticated clientele, has hosted every type of sound, from the legendary house of Theo Parrish to FWD, one of the original dubstep nights. For updates on the club's status and to show support, check out the Facebook support group.
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with FaltyDL, Dekmantel, Randomer, and More
- FeatureXLR8R's Top 20 Downloads of July
- NewsR&S Readies Debut Outing from Alma Construct, Streams Lead Track
- NewsThe Great American Techno Festival Announces Dates and Initial Line-Up
- XLR8R's Top 20 Downloads of July
- Dekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
XLR8R Downloads Player