Xiu Xiu and Deerhoof to Perform Joy Division's Unknown Pleasures
- Words: Thomas Rees
Late April's Donaufestival in Krems, Austria, will see a fascinating collaboration between the depressive pop of Xiu Xiu and the manic rhythms of Deerhoof. The two groups will be combining forces to perform the entirety of Unknown Pleasures, the legendary Joy Division album (and dorm-room staple) which has given music fans some of the most iconic sounds of the past 30 years. While Xiu Xiu's latest record, Dear God, I Hate Myself, was produced by Deerhoof's Greg Saunier, it was actually fan suggestions that gave rise to the plausibility of covering such a vastly important album. As if such a one-time performance wasn't enough reason to get tickets, Fuck Buttons, Panda Bear, Dan Deacon, and many others are also performing at the fest.
Xiu Xiu and Deerhoof will perform Unknown Pleasures on April 29. For more information on Donaufestival as well as early-bird ticket sales, visit the event site.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- FeatureFive Artists Not to Miss at Vancouver's New Forms Festival
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- NewsFriends of Friends Details Fifth Anniversary Comp Featuring Shlohmo, Shigeto, Machinedrum, Nicolas Jaar, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player