XLR8R x SXSW: Our Top 10 Event Picks
- Words: Patric Fallon
It's doubtful you need a reminder from us, but it's about time you all got ready for the heated musical jump-off about to go down at SXSW 2010 in Austin. We know you've been busy booking hotels, lurking the local hotties' Facebook pages, and building up your party tolerance for the epic music festival, so we here at XLR8R decided to throw you a bone, or 10, and let you in on the event picks that will truly maximize your good vibes. Check out the party plan below, and while you're at it, download our City Guide app for the Android and iPhone to get the full details on what's going down in Austin.
1. The No Age Late Night Party
Between LA's premiere noise-punk duo No Age and a DJ set from Animal Collective's Avey Tare, something supremely loud and cathartic is sure to happen at this party.
A slice of UK club life on American soil with French Soler, Unicorn Kid, Viva City, and more.
3. Annie Mac Presents @ Republic Live
With Fool's Gold, L-Vis 1990, Kingdom, Boy 8-bit, Brodinski, and Fake Blood in tow, Dublin tastemaker Annie Mac has curated one of her famous parties just for SXSW.
This mellow daytime event at the infamous Beauty Bar will help ease your hangover with One AM Radio and Dan Black, among many others.
5. Windish/Pitchfork Afternoon Showcase
Two of the biggest names in the biz coalesce into this massive afternoon show with buzz artists Neon Indian, Japandroids, Washed Out, Javelin, Memory Tapes, and more.
6. Windish/Pitchfork Nighttime Showcase
Following into the night, Emo's will host the likes of Born Ruffians, Matias Aguayo, and The Very Best to set the mood for the long night ahead.
7. Hypemachine: Lose Control 2
Everyone's favorite jam aggregator fills its four-day-long party at Vice Bar with over 40 performances, including Toro Y Moi, Delorean, and Tobacco.
8. 45 Live
The hip-hop contingent is alive and well at this Stones Throw party, where Madlib, Dam-Funk, J. Rocc, and Peanut Butter Wolf will be dropping heat using only 45s.
9. Tormenta Tropical
SF's premiere cumbia, bass, and electro happening hosts its favorite live acts and DJs from around the globe, including Ghosts on Tape, Poirier, Lazer Sword, Kingdom, Lemonade, and tons more.
10. Kill Rock Stars
A free afternoon rock concert never hurt anyone, especially when break-out garage acts like Grass Widow, Explode Into Colors, and Talk Normal are involved.
- NewsDownload a New Mix from Tycho
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- NewsStream Different Sleep's Dreamy Debut EP for Friends of Friends
- NewsPixelord, DZA, 813, and Others to Appear on Upcoming Russia-Focused Compilation
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player