Bird Peterson Unveils Drankenstein, Confuses XLR8R Staff
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
Earlier today, Austin-based DJ/producer Bird Peterson posted a new mixtape, Drankenstein, on the Mad Decent blog. Purportedly inspired by his love of "the Dirty South and the use of trance synths in current rap," Drankenstein features 15 tracks layering crunk acapellas over "classic" trance melodies. No, we're not joking. Gucci Mane is on the same mix as Paul van Dyk and Art of Trance. Honestly, we were so ready to hate on this—it's a mixtape full of crunk-trance mash-ups, and yes, that kind of sounds like the worst idea ever. But after giving it a listen, we've got to admit that the concept kind... of... works. And although our internal coolness alarms prevent us from coming out and saying, "this is awesome," a lot of these tunes sound just as good, if not better, than the dreck on the radio these days.
The whole mix is available for free download from Mad Decent, but peep the tracklist below.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player