Hudson Mohawke Chats by the Fire with Red Bull Music Academy
- Words: Patric Fallon
- Photo: Jesse Robeck
Glaswegian beat-making wunderkind and one of XLR8R's favorite saviors of music last year, Hudson Mohawke has long been a producer of interest for this publication. His recent remix for UK grime icon Wiley sent our heads spinning with its alter-dimensional rave sound, and now here's something a bit more personal from the beatsmith. The man known to mum as Ross Birchard sat down with Red Bull Music Academy to take part in the institution's ongoing "Fireside Chat" series (which recently featured Caribou, as well), and delivered an illuminating dissertation on the history of his DJ career, how he learned to produce his kind of soulful wonky beats, joining the LuckyMe and Warp labels, and where he hopes to take Hudson Mohawke in the future. Listen to that talk, which is interspersed with a veritable chronology of HudMo-related tracks, here.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player