LA's Proximal Label Premieres New Beat Scene Mixtape
- Words: Patric Fallon
- Photo: Ellie Stills
It's getting to be that calculating the size of SoCal's mass of labels and artists dedicated to the region's beat scene is becoming a task meant for N.A.S.A.'s computer mainframe, but that doesn't mean we've lost interest. Another new label has appeared on our radar, and we'd like to bring you the inaugural taste of what it's all about. The new LA imprint, Proximal, is the brainchild of producers Carl Madison Burgin (a.k.a. Sahy Uhns, pictured above) and Jeff Elmassian, who launched the project to provide a hub for local producers to come together. To let people in on what Proximal is all about, Burgin and Elmassian have curated a forthcoming compilation for their label's first release, entitled Proximity One: Narrative of a City. Featured on the album are artists likes of Wake, Juj, Bear Claw, and label head Sahy Uhns, all of whom are also on this preview mixtape Proximal is now offering for free download. Download Beat Stew Volume 2 here, and check out a couple of past mixes here. The full tracklist is below.
1. Say Uhns- "A-Team"
2. Evany- "Marvin in Marvin Out"
3. Benedek- "Cyber Sax"
4. Bear Claw and Sahy Uhns- "Beat w/ Jane"
5. LarryFive- "Blue Goldfish
6. Sahy Uhns- "O.E. for Two"
7. Benedek & Presstones- "Dankster Turtloid"
8. Lawrence Grey & killqvc- "tommytime"
9. Wake- "Babe What"
10. Juj- "Sunday Bouncer"
11. Friendly Stranger- "Nefertitties"
12. Wake- "You"
13. D-Funk- "Get High"
14. Bucc Rogerz- "lyricist4life"
15. Juj & O.- "SELF deTERMINATION"
- Dekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- Record Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
XLR8R Downloads Player