Video Premiere: The Death Set's "Far Weathered Friends"
- Words: Patric Fallon
East Coast DIY dance-punk outfit The Death Set hooked us up with the premiere of this awesome animated video for its unruly cover of the Daedelus song "Fair Weather Friends." The brightly colored, hand-drawn imagery comes to us courtesy of illustrator and pet portraitist extraordinaire J. Penry, all of which was brought to life by the animators at Wealthy Pictures, director Lazlo, and the folks from Project Fathom. The idea for the video is fairly typical: The Death Set tour van is set on a course to the band's next show with plenty of scenery to be viewed before they get there. But what makes the video so--excuse us for saying this again--totally awesome is that the visuals equate to a post-modern version of some Beavis and Butthead-meets-Fantastic Planet Sunday-morning-cartoon acid trip, but with more punks and chicks with cat heads under their shirt. Maybe that's a little much for some, but it sure beats the new Wavves cover. And if you love the song enough, download The Death Set's "Far Weathered Friends" here.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player